Sunday, December 18, 2011

Shoe Self Portraits

I tried a new lesson with my fifth grade students this year.  Instead of drawing a typical self-portrait, I wanted students to portray themselves through their shoes.  The lesson includes an observational drawing of shoes, which all the kids practice before moving on to the final artwork.  Their shoes are placed in the foreground. They use the rest of the space to help describe themselves.  It took between four and five 45 minute classes, but I think it was worth it.  I was really impressed with what they came up with!  Here are a few samples from the lesson.















Most students did fairly well with drawing from observation.  The tricky part was to describe oneself in the background.  Some students didn't know what to do.  They had trouble thinking outside the box.  Next time I do this, I will put more emphasis on that part of the lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment